Reports to: Creative Director
Location: Panajachel, Guatemala
Reporting to the Creative Director and the Design Manager, the Design Associate is responsible for the creation of all Mercado Global core collections as well as supporting product development for key sales partners such as J. Crew, Calypso St. Barth, Comptoir des Cotonniers and Anthropologie. The Design Associate will have the opportunity to see a product through its lifespan by assisting in concept design, product design and product development. This opportunity provides the Associate with the opportunity to develop key skills and experience in both the fashion and the non‐profit sectors while also directly helping indigenous women artisans in Guatemala develop income opportunities. The position provides the opportunity to work directly with our local production team, the organization’s leadership, our talented Guatemalan and U.S. based staff, and directly with the women artisans we serve in Guatemala.
- Supported by the Design Manager, carry through Creative Director’s vision for each collection and overall line direction from concept through completion (2 – 3 collections per year).
- Support key deliverables to build strategic, seasonal collections
- Design a number of key retail capsule collections each year
- Work with Design Manager and production team to develop new detailing concepts each season
- Create and maintain initial and final product specs
- Support the Design Manager and Production team on artisan skill development priorities
- A Bachelor’s degree in Accessory Design or Fashion Design from a leading design school
- Minimum of 2 to 3 years work experience with an established accessories brand or apparel company
- Enthusiasm for Mercado Global’s mission
- Proficient in Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop
- Prior international work experience a plus but not required
- Spanish verbal and written proficiency an asset
The position requires a minimum 1 year commitment and is based in Panajachel, Guatemala.
Terms and Conditions
This position pays a competitive local salary.
How to Apply
Please send cover letter, resume, and portfolio to Courtney Hardt at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please indicate “Design Associate” in the subject line of your email.
Start Your Career Pioneering Change
Throughout the year, Mercado Global accepts a limited number of interns at both our Brooklyn and Guatemala offices. These placements provide an opportunity for interns to explore the internal operations of an innovative international nonprofit organization and social business. College students, recent college graduates, and graduate students who are able to commit to a minimum of a 3-month placement are encouraged to apply for an internship with Mercado Global.
To become an intern, or for more information, please contact email@example.com.