Reports to: Executive Director
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Creative Director is responsible for managing Mercado Global’s brand strategy and the design of Mercado Global’s seasonal collections. The Creative Director supervises the Design Manager and provides creative direction to the Marketing Associate and the Design Associate. This position provides fashion industry professionals with the opportunity to design and develop product for leading U.S. brands while also helping mothers in Guatemala develop the income opportunities they need to send their children to school.
The position provides the opportunity to work with our talented Guatemala and U.S. based staff, and directly with the women artisans we serve in Guatemala. The Creative Director also supports public speaking and networking on behalf of the brand within the fashion industry. The Creative Director should have a background in concept, design and product development. This position requires collaboration and coordination with Mercado Global’s sales, design, production, and press teams. Experience in a cross- cultural working environment preferred. Management experience and strong design, organizational, strategic, and communication skills are required. The Creative Director is responsible for overseeing the maintenance of Mercado Global’s brand aesthetic and strategy, both through creative direction on product and marketing collateral. The Creative Director develops and strengthens Mercado Global’s brand identity in conjunction with MG’s press, sales, and fundraising teams.
The Creative Director is responsible for managing the MG brand and collections. Specific responsibilities include:
- Work with the Executive Director to grow sales and the MG brand, including by setting brand and product strategy and identifying and supporting key sales partnerships and brand initiatives.
- Oversee the design and development of Mercado Global’s core seasonal collections (spring, summer, fall, winter women’s accessory and spring and fall home collections). This includes creation of seasonal concepts and supporting the Design Manager on implementation management of designs, providing guidance on sourcing and technique development, and management of creation of technical specifications.
- Oversee the Design Manager’s management of collection development calendar, samples pipeline, and design process. This involves supporting the Design Manager’s work ensuring the production team, Marketing Associate, Design Associate, and other involved team members stay on calendar and have the support they need at each step in the collection development process.
- Provide creative direction to Marketing Associate on development of marketing collateral and implementation of marketing strategy. This includes creative direction on the development of seasonal lookbooks, linesheets, teasers and brand collateral as well as social media and marketing strategy.
- Oversee management of MG’s PR Agency, Krupp Group. This includes working with Krupp on top level brand and outreach strategy and overseeing Design Manager’s day-to-day management of the relationship.
- Overseeing Design Manager’s management of private label relationships, including supporting product design and partnership strategy as needed.
- Functioning as a brand spokesman and networking within the fashion industry on behalf of the brand, including through speaking with press, clients and key advisors.
- Overseeing the Design Manager’s management of MG’s Fashion Advisory Board, and supporting recruitment and leveraging advisory board members to support MG brand goals and needs.
- Work with the Executive Director to keep the Board of Directors informed & consulted on brand strategy. Includes working with key board committees and working groups as needed.
The Creative Director will work from our offices in Guatemala from concept to commercialization for his/her first collection to allow time to build relationships with MG’s production, product development and design teams and to learn about the techniques, materials, and traditions used by our artisans in Guatemala’s highlands. After the first collection, the Creative Director position is based in NYC and involves travel to Guatemala four times per year for up to 4 weeks each time to support the collection development process and calendar.
- Undergraduate degree in Fashion or Accessories Design.
- 7-9 years professional experience in design and product development, preferably for a handbag or accessories company.
- Understanding of merchandising for large retailers.
- Management experience required.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills. Cross cultural working environment experience preferred, including ability to collaborate effectively with production, design, sales and PR teams.
- Strong entrepreneurial, organizational and analytical abilities.
- Strong English spoken and written communication skills.
- Spanish proficiency preferred.
- Photography skills preferred.
- Strong Photoshop and illustrator skills required.
- Experience working with smaller companies, artisans, and living in rural Latin America preferred.
- Enthusiasm for Mercado Global’s mission and products.
Based in NYC with travel 4 times a year to Guatemala (at this time, 1 month at a time). Begin position by working from our offices in Panajachel, Guatemala from concept to commercialization for first collection.
How to Apply
Please send cover letter, resume, and portfolio to Ruth DeGolia at email@example.com.
Please indicate “Creative Director” in the subject line of your email.