Community Outreach Coordinator
Reports to: Community Outreach Director
Location: Panajachel, Guatemala
The Community Outreach Coordinator builds Mercado Global’s support base as a key communications strategist. Managing the organization’s events, insight trip program, and individual giving relationships, the Community Outreach Coordinator is responsible for scaling Mercado Global’s presence and bringing in resources to support the organization’s expansion.
The Community Outreach Coordinator is responsible for managing 4-6 fundraising events per year (ranging from dinners to gala events), donor trips to Guatemala, and individual donor relationships, helping to meet the organization’s annual individual fundraising goals. He or she manages communications for the organization including developing fundraising collateral, managing the communications calendar, and sending reports to donors. Finally, the Community Outreach Coordinator promotes the Mercado Global mission and brand across virtual platforms including social media and the organization’s website. This position works from our field office in Panajachel, Guatemala.
Fundraising and Events
- Oversee major fundraising events and small cultivation gatherings from planning to execution; work closely with event Host Committees to plan events and meet fundraising goals
- Work closely with the Community Outreach Director to support cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding major gifts
- Organize donor trips to Guatemala; provide in-field introduction to Mercado Global’s programs and communities, oversee all travel logistics
- Organize and support fundraising opportunities for Community Outreach Director and Executive Director, including speaking engagements and fundraising trips
- Develop individual donor solicitations including annual appeals
- Supervise online communications including e-newsletters, blog, Facebook, Twitter, and website updates
- Create and manage marketing tools including brochures, annual appeal and e-communications
- Develop and send press releases and pitches
- Support all elements of the Community Outreach team as needed, including grant writing program, database management, coordination with other teams, etc.
- A bachelor’s degree
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Excellent planning and organizational skills with a demonstrated ability to move multiple projects forward simultaneously
- Demonstrated success in cultivating relationships with donors, investors, or clients
- Demonstrated success in growing supporter networks and brand presence preferred, especially for nonprofits/social enterprises
- 1-2 years of fundraising experience with demonstrated ability to meet fundraising goals preferred, particularly in managing individual giving
- Ability to work in a team in a team setting and communicate effectively
- Strong attention to detail and commitment to top-quality, self-driven work
- Proficiency in written and spoken English and Spanish
- Enthusiasm for Mercado Global’s mission
- Flexibility; willingness to work nights and weekends as needed
- Fluency with Microsoft Office and Excel required. Knowledge of DonorPerfect, Constant Contact, Adobe Illustrator, and/or Adobe Photoshop a plus
- Ability to make two-year commitment
How to Apply:
Please send cover letter and resume to Vanessa Uhlig at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate “Community Outreach Coordinator” in the subject line of your email.
Terms and Conditions:
This position pays a competitive local salary.
Start Your Career Pioneering Change
Throughout the year, Mercado Global accepts a limited number of interns at both our Brooklyn and Guatemala offices. These placements provide an opportunity for interns to explore the internal operations of an innovative international nonprofit organization and social business. College students, recent college graduates, and graduate students who are able to commit to a minimum of a 3-month placement are encouraged to apply for an internship with Mercado Global.
To become an intern, or for more information, please contact email@example.com.